2010 Honda VFR1200FA
Honda's storied V-4 heritage has been re-invented in an astonishing new sport motorcycle that's unlike anything you've ever seen, heard, or ridden. Drawing from an impressive history of V-4 innovation, the all-new Honda VFR1200FA incorporates technology borrowed from such diverse sources as MotoGP, motocross, and even high-end sports cars. Its 1,237 cc engine has a narrow 76-degree cylinder angle, Unicam™ valve train, asymmetrical front/rear cylinder spacing, and other advanced features, which combine to produce a remarkably compact engine. Throttle-by-wire, a smart new shaft-drive system, available Dual Clutch Transmission (VFR1200FA DCT model)... it all adds up to a futuristic new bike for those who love to ride hard, ride far, and ride often.
- New-technology seat construction permits a higher level of seat shaping and forming detail for excellent rider and passenger comfort and a sleek look.
- Integral saddlebag mounts come standard on both versions of the VFR1200FA.
- New painting technologies, specially developed at Honda's new high-tech Kumamoto factory, result in a level of finish far above normal production standards .
- The handlebar and the layout of the controls are the result of careful study of ergonomics and rider needs. The designers looked at the time required to reach controls comfortably and the ease of operation— particularly during cornering. As a result, the VFR1200FA has new handlebar switches and a new layout with reversed horn and indicator controls. The indicator switch shape is designed around natural thumb movement for effortless operation.
- Light and compact 1,237 cc liquid-cooled 76-degree V-4 engine pumps out amazing levels of power with a distinctive feel and sound.
- By combining many of Honda's most advanced technologies, engineers managed to create a remarkably compact engine that's both smaller and lighter than the V-4 engine in the VFR800A.
- Unique cylinder layout locates the rear cylinders side by side but close together, and the front cylinders more widely spaced. This layout allows for a slim, compact "waist" that fits comfortably between the rider's legs. It also improves mass centralization, thereby contributing to the bike's balanced feel and ease of control.
- The engine also incorporates a special high-strength Symmetrically Coupled Phase-shift Crankshaft that features a 28-degree crankpin offset that works in concert with the 76-degree V angle to essentially negate primary engine vibration for smooth running. And because the powerplant now has perfect primary balance, the need for a balance shaft is eliminated, which allows for a more compact engine and also yields a weight savings of nearly 1.4 kg (3 lb).
- Lightweight and compact Unicam™ valve train allows for significantly shorter and smaller cylinder heads with no loss in efficiency. It's the same technology used in Honda's potent CRF motocross bikes.
- Also borrowed from the CRF range and the RC211V MotoGP bike is the sealed crankcase system that reduces the pumping loss created through piston movement, marking the first time this system has been used on a street motorcycle.
- The new engine's performance is delivered where it's most useful and most enjoyable. Its linear torque curve is focused in the low-end and midrange, making it possible for the rider to simply roll on and off the throttle while powering through bends. This effortless control makes the VFR1200FA great fun to ride – this is a sportbike with real-world-usable power.
- Asymmetrical exhaust lengths between front and rear cylinders further improve power output and add to the VFR1200FA's unique sound and feel.
- Engineered to provide excellent cornering clearance and minimal intrusion to the feet of the rider and passenger, the high-volume, twin-outlet muffler produces an unobtrusive but fantastically stirring note. At low revs the sound is almost like a human heartbeat. Further up the rev range, once the internal servo-operated exhaust valve is opened, the sound changes to a truly inspiring, hard-edged V-4 howl.
- A slipper clutch allows quick downshifting and improved control under deceleration. It's similar to the clutch on the CBR1000RR.
- A throttle-by-wire system replaces the throttle cable with sophisticated electronics. It provides light, precise fuel metering at all engine rpm, the system's accuracy gives the rider increased levels of control.
- The next-generation shaft-drive system routes the shaft below the swingarm pivot point to eliminate the squat and lift of conventional shaft drives without resorting to complex and heavy countermeasures as found on some competing models. Special dampers eliminate any excessive slack or jerkiness in the system, resulting in smooth on- and off-throttle transitions.
- The patented layered fairing design creates a uniquely beautiful shape and, at the same time, optimal airflow and heat management. The fairing incorporates two layers. Air entering between the layers and through two oval-shaped spaces in the front of the fairing is channelled in exactly the directions needed to enhance the bike's stability at higher speeds. Plus, by channelling air through smaller apertures before it reaches the radiators and thereby increasing its velocity, engine cooling is optimized and the hot, exhausted air is carried quickly away from the rider and passenger for a cooler, more comfortable ride. The heat generated by the engine is also channelled away to keep hot air away from the rider.
- Honda Pro-Arm single-side swingarm with single gas-charged shock features a handy remote spring-preload adjuster, rebound damping adjustability, and 130 mm (5.1 inches) of travel. At the front the VFR1200FA boasts a stout, sport-oriented 43 mm inverted cartridge fork with spring preload adjustability and 120 mm (4.7 inches) of travel.
- The VFR1200FA is equipped with a sophisticated braking system that's ideal for all-round sportbike use. Powerful new six-piston calipers for the front and a two-piston caliper at the rear act on large full-floating discs (320 mm front; 276 mm rear). Honda's Combined Braking System creates the optimal balance of front and rear braking forces, while the compact and lightweight Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) lets you brake with confidence on even difficult surfaces.
- Engine Type: Liquid-cooled 76-degree V-4 with asymmetrical front/rear cylinder layout
- Displacement: 1,237 cc
- Bore & Stroke: 81 mm x 60 mm
- Compression Ratio: 12:1
- Valve Train: Chain-driven SOHC Unicam, 4 valves per cylinder
- Fuel Delivery: PGM-FI electronic fuel injection
- Transmission: Six-speed
- Final Drive: Shaft
- Front Suspension: 43 mm cartridge fork with spring preload adjustability; 120 mm (4.7 in.) travel
- Rear Suspension: Pro Arm single-side swingarm with Pro-Link single gas-charged shock with remote spring preload adjustability and rebound damping adjustability; 130 mm (5.1 in.) travel
- Tires: 120/70ZR - 17 radial front; 190/55ZR - 17 radial rear
- Brakes: Front dual 320 mm discs with six-piston calipers; rear single 276 mm disc with two-piston caliper. Combined Braking System with ABS (Anti-lock Braking System)
- Seat Height: 815 mm (32.1 in.)
- Seating capacity: Two
- Wheelbase: 1,545 mm (60.8 in.)
- Curb Weight: 268 kg (591 lb) Including required fluids and full tank of gas – ready to ride
- Fuel Capacity: 18.5 litres
- Colour: Candy Red
- Engine Type
- Liquid-cooled 76-degree V-4 with asymmetrical front/rear cylinder layout, chain-driven SOHC Unicam, 4 valves per cylinder
- 1,237 cc
- Bore and Stroke
- 81 mm x 60 mm
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- PGM-FI electronic fuel injection
- Front Suspension
- 43 mm cartridge fork with spring preload adjustability; 120 mm (4.7 in.) travel
- Rear Suspension
- Pro Arm single-side swingarm with Pro-Link single gas-charged shock with remote spring preload adjustability and rebound damping adjustability; 130 mm (5.1 in.) travel
- Front Brakes
- Dual 320 mm discs with six-piston calipers
- Rear Brakes
- Single 276 mm disc with two-piston caliper. Combined Braking System with ABS (Anti-lock Braking System)
- Front Tire
- 120/70ZR - 17 radial
- Rear Tire
- 190/55ZR - 17 radial
- 1,545 mm (60.8 in.)
- Seat Height
- 815 mm (32.1 in.)
- Fuel Capacity
- 18.5 litres
- Final Drive
- Candy Red