2018 Honda CBR1000RAJ
- Power up, weight down: Light, powerful and easy to control. The 16-valve DOHC engine found in the CBR1000RR resuts in a 10 horsepower increase over the previous generation and a significant overall lightweight design. Powered by rich racing ?heritage and proven real world performance, the flagship CBR1000RR maintains its user-friendly character, specifically designed and dedicated to the concept of total control.
- High-tech upgrades: Engineered with extraordinary precision and designed with powerful purpose, the high horsepower engine revs harder and higher thanks to its 13:1 compression ratio, advanced cam timing ?and high revving 13,000 rpm redline. The pistons feature an optimized wall thickness and crown design, while the piston rings have Diamond Like Carbon (DLC) coating that improves sealing. Polished inlet and exhaust ports in the cylinder head and “gas-flowed” combustion chambers improve efficiency, and the intake funnels are “slash cut”, a design used in World Superbike.
- Magnesium covers: From the use of a magnesium oil pan and ignition cover to a light Assist Slipper Clutch with light yet strong transmission gears, it ?all adds up to an engine that’s 2 kg (4.4 lbs) lighter than that found in its previous generation. This incredible attention to detail even included ?careful analysis on the precise shape and length of bolts, hoses and clamps.
- Lightweight titanium muffler: The titanium irregular-cross-section muffler helps shave overall weight, while also creating an unmistakable sound at wide open throttle. The exhaust supplier to the Repsol Honda MotoGP team was tasked to develop the prototype and produced an exquisite design with the 4-2-1 double-layer downpipes incorporating the exhaust valve within the first main pipe.
- Cutting-edge electronics: The CBR1000RR features a cutting-edge electronic control system, allowing you to tailor its performance exactly the way you like it. Central to the system is the 5-axis Inertial Measurement Unit (IMU) gyro, which precisely measures what the machine is doing, in every plane. It works with the fuel-injection ECU, Throttle By Wire system—the first on an inline-four Honda—and even the ABS system to provide unparalleled ride control right at your fingertips.
- Choose your Riding Mode: The Riding Mode Select System makes it easy to program the CBR’s electronic controls for various types of riding situations. Accessed via the instrument panel and switches beside the left handgrip, RMSS lets you choose, on the fly, between five different combinations of electronic control: three modes offer preset combinations of engine power level, rear-wheel traction and wheelie control, and engine braking strength, while two additional user settings allow you to customize combinations to your exact preferences.
- Full rider control: Here’s what the Riding Mode Select System allows you to control. Power Selector (5 levels), which regulates engine power from peak output in all six gears at Level 1 to gentler power increase at Level 5 (all levels have the same throttle response on initial opening). Honda Selectable Torque Control (9 levels and off), which manages rear-wheel traction and front-wheel lift under acceleration. Selectable Engine Brake Control (3 levels), which regulates the amount of engine-braking force when you roll off the throttle.
- Larger EFI throttle bodies: The CBR’s Dual-Stage Fuel Injection system features two sets of injectors per cylinder for instantaneous high-rpm response, great low-rpm fuel metering, and clean running. Refined EFI settings and larger throttle bodies (48 mm vs 46 mm) make the engine even more manageable, with smoother throttle response particularly at smaller throttle openings.
- Superb handling: The 43 mm fork incorporates Showa’s latest Big Piston technology with a larger damping-oil volume to effectively reduce the hydraulic pressure generated as the fork legs compress and extend. The result is more precise action during the initial stroke and smoother overall damping action for improved handling, enhanced front-end feedback, and a more solid feel during hard braking. At the back, the Unit Pro-Link® rear suspension features a patented Balance Free Rear Shock from Showa that incorporates a unique double-tube design featuring a damper case plus an internal cylinder for more-responsive, smoother damping action and a smoother transition between compression and rebound, resulting in improved traction and road holding.
- Advanced ABS: The CBR1000RR’s gyro-assisted ABS takes anti-lock braking technology to an even higher level. Using lean-angle data from the IMU and both front- and rear-wheel speed sensors, the system allows hard trail braking into corners and limits rear-wheel lift—preventing the rear of the machine from elevating or “backing in” around the front. Radial-mount front brake calipers use newly developed brake pads with a high coefficient of friction that perform better at the elevated temperatures created during aggressive riding.
- Even better handling: The lightweight hollow die-cast twin-spar aluminum frame’s rigidity balance delivers precise handling with outstanding steering response, feel and stability. The Unit Pro-Link swingarm has also had the thickness of each section adjusted to save on weight, while maintaining transverse rigidity and increasing torsional rigidity.
- Steering control: Most steering dampers only sense handlebar-deflection speed. The Honda Electronic Steering Damper (HESD) is way more sophisticated. It also detects vehicle speed, and adjusts damping proportionally. This helps maintain low-speed maneuverability while providing predictable high-speed handling.
- Lightweight wheels: The lightweight Y-shape aluminum wheels offer aerodynamic stability and strength with an attractive supersport design.
- Multi-function display: Like the exotic RC213V-S, the CBR1000RR uses a full-colour TFT liquid-crystal instrument panel that automatically adjusts to ambient light. It includes a speedometer, tachometer and odometers, plus indicators for gear position, shift-up point (rider adjustable), fuel economy, distance to empty, and more. And by choosing one of three modes—Street, Circuit or Mechanic—the panel also reveals a wealth of additional data. Street shows you the Riding Mode you’re in plus the settings for each parameter: P (Power Selector), T (Honda Selectable Torque Control), and EB (Selectable Engine Brake). Circuit adds to these the lap time, number of laps, and difference from the best lap. Mechanic displays such info as grip angle, coolant temperature and battery voltage.
- Wind-cutting shape: The CBR’s sleek, lightweight bodywork wraps around the chassis and engine tightly, adding to the bike’s compact proportions and aerodynamic efficiency. The narrow upper fairing and the surface angle of the headlights in conjunction with the contouring of the side slits all help support enhanced stability at high speed. In a racing crouch the rider is tucked well out of the airstream, and in normal riding situations air pressure is evenly distributed on the rider’s shoulders, back and sides.
- Bright LED lighting: All lighting is crisp LED, with the twin front headlights offering high/low beam on both sides. The brilliantly bright headlights also further improve the CBR1000RR's mass centralization due to their lightweight versus traditional headlight systems.
- Improved security: A compact car-style wave-design ignition key offers additional security and greatly reduces the chance of breakage.
- Engine Type: Liquid-cooled inline four cylinder
- Displacement: 999 cc
- Bore & Stroke: 76 mm x 55 mm
- Compression Ratio: 13.0:1
- Valve Train: Chain-driven DOHC, 4 valves per cylinder
- Fuel Delivery: PGM - Dual Stage Fuel Injection
- Transmission: Close-ratio six-speed (Quickshifter - optional accessory)
- Final Drive: #530 O-ring-sealed chain
- Front Suspension: Telescopic inverted fork with an inner tube diameter of 43 mm, and a Big Piston Front Fork with preload, compression and rebound adjustment, 120 mm (4.7 in.) travel
- Rear Suspension: Unit Pro-Link® with gas-charged HMAS damper featuring 10-step preload and stepless compression and rebound damping adjustment, 138.2 mm (5.4 in.) travel. Rear Balance Free Rear Cushion with preload, compression and rebound adjustment, 62 mm (2.44 in.) travel
- Tires: Front: 120/70ZR-17 radial Rear: 190/50ZR-17 radial
- Brakes: Front: electronically controlled ABS - 320 mm dual hydraulic disc with Tokico radial mounted calipers and high performance track ready pads Rear: electronically controlled ABS - 220 mm hydraulic disc
- Seat Height: 832 mm (32.7 in.)
- Wheelbase: 1,405 mm (55.3 in.)
- Curb Weight: 196 kg (432 lbs.) including required fluids and full tank of gas – ready to ride
- Fuel Capacity: 16 litres
- Colour: Grand Prix Red with Black/White Graphic
- Warranty: 12 months, unlimited mileage, freely transferable warranty; extended coverage available with Honda Plus
- Engine Type
- Inline four cylinder
- 999 cc
- Bore and Stroke
- 76 mm x 55 mm
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- PGM - Dual Stage Fuel Injection
- Close-ratio six-speed (Quickshifter - optional accessory)
- Final Drive
- #530 O-ring-sealed chain
- Front Suspension
- Telescopic inverted fork with an inner tube diameter of 43 mm, and a Big Piston Front Fork with preload, compression and rebound adjustment, 120 mm (4.7 in.) travel
- Rear Suspension
- Unit Pro-Link® with gas-charged HMAS damper featuring 10-step preload and stepless compression and rebound damping adjustment, 138.2 mm (5.4 in.) travel. Rear Balance Free Rear Cushion with preload, compression and rebound adjustment, 62 mm (2.44 in.) travel
- Front Brakes
- Electronically controlled ABS - 320 mm dual hydraulic disc with Tokico radial mounted calipers and high performance track ready pads
- Rear Brakes
- Electronically controlled ABS - 220 mm hydraulic disc
- Front Tire
- 120/70ZR-17 radial
- Rear Tire
- 190/50ZR-17 radial
- 1,405 mm (55.3 in.)
- Seat Height
- 832 mm (32.7 in.)
- Fuel Capacity
- 16 L
- Dry Weight
- Curb Weight: 196 kg (432 lb.)
- Grand Prix Red with Black/White Graphic
- 12 months, unlimited mileage, freely transferable warranty; extended coverage available with Honda Plus